Friday, May 22, 2009

Mom loves her quilt!

Good morning everyone,

We are having beautiful weather here in northwest Missouri. They are calling for isolated showers this evening and popup showers throughout the weekend. I am not surprised. It seems like it always rains on Memorial Day weekend. I got up early and went to visit my mom. I took her the rooster quilt. She was thrilled with it. She just keeps sitting and looking at it. (grin) Mom isn't the emotional type, so to see her smiling when she looks at it tells me she loves it. I got a picture of her holding it up.
Then I hung it on her wall. Finding a place for it was not easy. Her walls are about covered with pictures and pretties. She has 4 children, 17 grandchildren, and 7 great-grandchildren. That is a lot of pictures. LOL But I managed to find a place. It is partially behind a chair, but the best I could do.
While I was there and had my camera, I decided to get a picture of the quilt I made for mom 4 or 5 years ago. It was one of the first quilts I made. I didn't even know how to put binding on it. I just wrapped the backing around to the front. LOL Mom must like it, as it is on her bed every time I visit. (grin) It is a Log Cabin Quilt. I really enjoyed doing this one, so I think another log cabin will be in my future. Here is another view of it, a little closer up. And of course, we have to have a picture of the back. It didn't come out very good. The flash washed it out. This was a beige colored cotton sheet. I hand quilted it, of course. I took mom to the cemetery to put flowers on graves. She has a lot that she puts on. Afterwards I took her by the store. She bought lots of groceries. I guess she plans to do a lot of cooking this weekend. (grin) Her birthday is Tuesday, but since I can't be with her then, we used today to celebrate. She has a stray mama kitty that she feeds. Her mama cat has 3 little babies. They are about a month old and as cute as can be. I picked one up and it hissed at me. LOL I never even thought about getting a picture. Sorry! I got home just in time to fix something for dh to eat and get him off to work. He has a 3 day weekend, so he was very happy. (grin)


Last week, I started a new project, just a teeny little wall quilt, but it had lots of applique. I made the pieced border before I sewed the blocks together. I got all of the applique done, sewed the blocks together, and found that no way were the borders going to fit right. Of course I did not have enough of the pink fabric left to make a new pieced border. So I decided to just cut some plain borders and sew them on. I also figured out what I did. I cut the background squares 5 inches. They were supposed to be cut 4 1/2 inches. (sigh) It doesn't matter, because I figured it out. Can you see where the pieced border just won't line up? Here is a picture of the teapot flimsy. I have been quilting away on it. I only have about 1/4 of it left to quilt, then I'll add the binding. I may get it done this afternoon. This is a Thimbleberries pattern called Tea Time. It is in my new quilting book called 'Pint-Size Traditions' by Lynette Jensen. This was so much fun to work on. Doing these little bitty projects helps to break up the bigger projects. I am still quilting on the Savannah Star and the Disappearing Nine Patch. I will eventually get them done. I have a whole tote full of flimsies that are ready to be quilted. I also have at least 4 quilts that are in various stages of piecing. I guess there is no hurry to get them done.
I am not sure if I will be able to post again before next Tuesday. Kevin has lots planned that he wants to do this weekend, plus we plan to have our first BBQ of the season. It will just be the 2 of us, since we saw all the kids last weekend. So everyone have a good day and a wonderful Memorial weekend. See you next week. Thanks for visiting. Please come again.

6 comments:

Belvie said...

That's such a nice picture of your mom with the wallhanging. I really like the way that rooster turned out. Your teapot quilt is cute too. I like the borders you put on it.

Laurie said...

Winona glad your mom loved her quilt but we knew she would. Gee we all love your quilts lol.
It's nice seeing your first quilt. What a great job you did for the first try.
Your teapot one... do you use that just as a wall hanging?
Enjoy your long weekend my friend.

Laurie

Karen said...

Love the chicken wall hanging quilt!

Unknown said...

I knew your mom would love the quilt! Who wouldn't!? Nice log cabin too, BTW.

Have a nice weekend!

Lisa said...

Beautiful work! I love the colors in the Log Cabin quilt. So cheery!

I have an award for you on my blog. Blessings!
~Lisa

Jennie said...

Absolutely lovely, Winona...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...