Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Rabbits!

   I had terrible luck with rabbits a couple of years ago. I lost both does and their whole litters the first time they gave birth. That was the year of the heat wave. The temps jumped to over 100* right around the time they were due. That about crushed me. I decided rabbits were not for me. I kept my buck, Sammy as a pet. Then when the family who took our last ducks came, their young son wanted Sammy. So Kevin gave him to this boy. I was gone that day and was a bit taken aback when I got home, but it was for the best. The boy had 2 does and no bucks. Sammy was lonely.
   Then this spring, I started thinking about rabbits again. I talked to Kevin and he said it would be my project. Since I am the one who takes care of all the animals around here, I already figured that. (grin) So I did lots of reading and asking around about someone local raising rabbits. I found out that a man that Kevin went to school with who lives about 5 miles away raised rabbits. I talked to him and decided to visit his rabbitry. He is just a backyard rabbit raiser, but he had some nice looking buns. I had  planned to buy three 8 week old rabbits (2 does and a buck), but when I got there he and his wife had talked it over. They said they would sell me two bred does for the same price. OK.
   This is Penny. She is a bit over a year old and was bred for her 3rd litter.
   She had her babies on May 30th. I have not bothered them yet except to make sure none were dead, so I don't even know how many she has, but I know they are black. I took a picture, but it is not very good. You might be able to make out a couple of babies. Penny is a wonderful mama. I can hardly wait till they get their eyes open and start hopping around.
   I also bought Copper. She has been a trouble maker, so I am not real fond of her. She was 6 months old when I got her and he put her in with his registered California buck. I don't think it took because she should have been due Monday or Tuesday. Oh well, it figures she would be the contrary one.  Here she is in her nest box, but I think she was just trying to fool me. LOL She really is pretty, just onery!
   This is Dano. It was supposed to be my buck. The problem is I think Dano is a Dani, yep a girl! The guy I got him/her from said he thought it was a male. Kevin half heartedly looked and said it was probably a male. I checked again last week. I really think I have another doe. Time will tell I guess. I love this rabbit, so it is not going anywhere! He/She was 8 weeks old when I got him. He is now about 12 weeks old. His/her mama is a registered New Zealand and the father a registered California. He/she was actually raised by Penny. His/her mama had 11 babies, so Anthony fostered one out to Penny. It says something about Penny that she would raise a bunny that was not hers. One of the reasons I love her so.
   So if Dano/Dani is a girl, I need to find another buck. I will also need to build another hutch as mine is full. That made Kevin's day. LOL NOT!  We did some work on our hutch before we got these. Kevin made some trusses and put a better roof on it. It gives them more shade and more room to stand up in. I also repainted it a sage green instead of rust red.
   The blocks are so that I can stand on them to pet my bunnies. (grin) I am enjoying the rabbits. You all have a great day.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Copper and Penny are both pretty. Can't wait to see pictures of the baby bunnies. The rabbit guy has good looking buns? I laughed way too hard at that.

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...