Monday, June 2, 2014

Back to the Blog!

   I have decided to blog again. I love comments, but this is about me having a place to keep track of things and maybe vent once in a while. LOL May not be a lot of pictures of crafts since I am so busy outside right now. It will be what it will be. ;)
  First, the sad news is MIL passed on March 10th. She was ready to go. She is in no more pain now. We miss her, but know she is in a better place.
   We struggled a lot this spring. We almost threw in the towel and just moved to town. It was a rough year. We lost all our garden last summer, had a horrible winter, then MIL getting sick and passing. Yep, stressful times. We sat down and talked about what we wanted to do. Things would be much easier for us in town, but I am not ready to give up on our little homestead just yet and I don't think Kevin is either, so we decided to stay and see what happens.
   We planted several dwarf fruit trees and a standard apple given in memory to MIL. We also planted asparagus and blueberries. Kind of hard to see, but this is our blueberry patch. We have 8 planted.
   I also planted some flowers. They are not blooming yet, but are green. Mostly lilies and well, I can't remember the others, but they are all perennial. LOL Most of the asparagus came up.
   The potatoes are looking wonderful. We planted 50 lbs of red Pontiac and 5 lbs of purple potatoes. We both spent our Saturday evening picking potato bug off the potatoes, not a fun job, but necessary when you don't want to use pesticides.
   I planted 63 tomatoes, but we had lots of wind and some really cold temps on May 15th-17th, so we lost a few. We probably have at least 55 left. You can see the pole beans behind them and another patch of tomatoes on past the blueberries. Just on the other side of the pole beans are okra. It really needs weeded, but was not up enough to mess with. After the 1 inch of rain we got last night, they will really need weeded.
   I planted about 9 different kinds of beans. I love beans and have missed my canned beans. Hope to remedy that this summer.
   I also planted lots of peppers and eggplants. I think I have 3 different varieties of eggplant and about 6 varieties of peppers including hot ones. We love homemade salsa!
  
   This is the cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, fava beans, onions and garlic.
   As you can see, as soon as it dries out, I will be very busy hoeing and pulling weeds. I will get a picture after it is all weeded.
  I also planted 2 long hills of watermelon, muskmelon, zucchini, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, and pumpkins. They are just coming up good.
   Just so you know I haven't been completely slacking in the crafting department, I finished this for Kevin's Aunt Joan's 80th birthday. She loved it.
  I believe that is enough for today. I have baby chicks and have ducklings coming tomorrow. More later. Anyone reading, have a wonderful day!







4 comments:

Terry said...

Welcome back! So sorry about your MIL.

Unknown said...

Winona, everything looks wonderful, especially the potatoes. So glad it is going better for you this season. Look forward to seeing your rabbits and duckies.
Lindsay

Julie Fukuda said...

I hope the weather will be kinder this year. I have so many plants crammed into such a tiny space and really envy all that garden area. I remember my years of picking beetles as a kid ... my uncle paid us by the can ... one coffee can with some water and kerosene on top. I think it was a quarter per can.

superman said...

very Nice Article and Pictures are very beautiful I forgot to mention last night Play bazaarthat I've nominated you to receive The Versatile Blogger award.Satta king

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...